Lower back pain is common for people of all ages for a variety of reasons. Back Pain can be triggered by a traumatic event like a fall or car accident, it could be a sports-related injury, or it could simply be the degeneration of your spine over time that is leading to the pain.
The best defense against back pain is preventing it in the first place! Here are a few tips from the physicians of NeuroScience & Spine Associates that can help you prevent this pain before it starts.
Lower Back Pain Saving Tips
- Stay Active & Exercise! Keeping your back healthy and strong will help prevent injuries that will lead to lower back pain. Avoid “No-Pain, No-Gain”, but remember “Motion is Lotion”.
- Learn to Lift Properly! Make sure to lift with your legs and avoid bending over at the waist to put less strain on your back.
- Sit Up Straight! Proper posture when sitting ( and standing ) will put less strain on your back and reduce the risk of injury.
- Quit Smoking! Nicotine restricts blood flow to the discs in your back that cushion your vertebrae.
- Relax and Reduce Stress! Constant stress can cause your muscles to tense, which can trigger lower back pain. Reduction of stress and practice of relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga can be extremely beneficial.
- Proper Sleeping Position(s)! Sleeping on your side with slightly bent knees is often suggested and least stressful on your back. When sleeping on your stomach, placing a pillow under your hips will help prevent or alleviate back pain caused by this position.
There are countless prevention tips and everyone has their own cause of back pain throughout their life. Hopefully these tips can help you prevent the pain before it starts!
If you would like to schedule an appointment with one of our physicians you can fill out our consultation request form and we’ll get it touch with you to discuss your options.